Thursday, June 02, 2011

Use NET USE Command to Map Network Drive

Here is one senario about using network shared folders. One application requires a configuration file. The application has been used in our intranet environment with many users. Many users use the same configuration. It is preferable to put the configuration file on a shared network folder. I need to find a efficient way to let user be able to access to the file.

I use the following DOS command NET USE to dynamically allocate a network drive for the share one:

@IF EXIST \\remoteMachine\sharedFolder GOTO EXIT
@NET USE * \\remotemachine\sharedFolder pwd /user:userName /PERSISTENT:NO
:EXIT


In above codes, * is used to get next available drive letter for mapping. The key option is /PERSISTENT:NO. With this setting, the mapped drive will be released or not persistent after logout or reboot.

The main reason I use dynamic mapping is that I am not sure what network drive is available. It hard to find one no body in use. Since my application does accept UNC network full name, I don't care what network letter being assigned. In the configuration file, I use UNC network full name. Since the UNC name has been authenticated, it is as same as a drive letter for fast access.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I fully agree with your post. Data recovery programs are great to overcome data loss situations. In many cases users try to extract data by themselves, which unfortunately causes permanent data loss. To prevent such a mishap, a user should have a good data recovery software.
recover pst